Monday, August 29, 2011

bundled avocados...

I posted about Peggy's idea of dyeing with an avocado a few days back. Check out her post here. I just couldn't wait to try it. I did mine a little differently and hope I can hold out because I'm already wanting to undo the bundles. Here is what I did:

I soaked some habotai silk and silk organza in vinegar water
I cleaned out the avocado skins and shaved off the top layers of the pits (they immediately turned orange).

I sprinkled the shavings onto each piece of cloth and wrapped it around the pit and put it inside the skins. I turned one of the skins inside out. I then wrapped each one with with cheesecloth (in case it fell apart in the water) and tied it with string.

I dropped the 2 bundles in boiling water for 2 hours and then let it sit in the water for awhile.

I put the bundles in a tightly covered glass jar and put it outside in the shade.
 and now the hard part....just waiting...for weeks, if I can hold out that long.


Karen Ruane's class started today and I'm already loving it. Hope to show you something in the next post so stand by...

12 comments:

Peggy said...

Deanna, I love seeing how you did this -- I have a feeling you're going to get some wonderful color...can't wait to see it!

Emmy said...

OOO I must go and buy me some avocado thanks for the idea

realm of inspiration said...

as I stated at peggy's place, this is the coolest of the coolest!
i'm so, so sorry i'm too late for karen's class.
however I'll keep a close watch out for
all the lovely projects developing.
You all are going to have so much fun!!!
oh! i just heard a coyote in the field.......

Els said...

Aaaaaaaah ....... just wait .... and see ..... ;-)

henrietta (aka ani aka zani) said...

Deanne, so glad your proceeding here with the avocado. I've saved a few from the weekend and hope to get to it too in the next day or so...my cloth is PFD so I'm almost ready. Will be looking forward to you progress. Thanks Henrietta

Yvonne said...

Like an egg waiting to hatch...

Heartwideopen said...

Oh my gosh! This sounds easy enough for me to do! And I love avocado. How long do you think you need to wait before peeking to see how it's going???? And I can't wait to see what you are creating in Karen's class. I so wanted to do it.... but have some medical issues with my spine that have to be addressed this fall. I'll wait for the next one.

;-) Debi

Victoria said...

ooohhhh... this looks very cool! can't wait to see the results!

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to seeing your results with the avocados - I love the colour they give - and also what you've been doing in Karen's class!

Montse Llamas said...

I agree with Yvonne. They look like eggs. Or maybe caterpillars...

Claire said...

Can't wait to see the results!

Pat said...

I have dyed with avocado before but not this way. It looks exciting. Thanks for the comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...