Used the leftover threads from my bobbin egg for my inital 'D' and put it on a new pincushion. I've been wanting to learn how to add a thread to the middle of a bobbin lace piece when one runs out so just did a little easy sample piece to learn that technique. I'll wind up using it in a quilt collage. That was easier than I thought it would be.
Thursday, November 26, 2009
Thursday, November 12, 2009
I recently found out that the hedgehog is kind of a mascot for bobbin lacers, what with all the pins we use in lace making. A friend of mine gave me a cute little hedgehog today and I named him Bobbi (for bobbin lace). Bobbi is in the picture with all my bobbin lace samples that I made to learn the different stitches. He's kind of cute, I think....
Monday, November 9, 2009
I finally finished my first 'real' bobbin lace piece. All the previous ones were just learning samples. This egg was made with a linen 80 weight thread. I did make some mistakes but it was a good learning experience and I'm pleased with the way it came out. This pattern came from the book 'Neue Klöppel-Ostereier' by Annelies Kirst. I believe the book is in German. I have some leftover threads on my bobbins so I prepared a pattern to do my initial 'D'. That should use up all the thread that remains. Once that's done, I expect to use the same pattern with different colors and an 18 weight thread which should give it a very different look.