Saturday, August 16, 2014

Chasing a VW Bug....

Spent most of the week on finishing up my bobbin lace VW Bug and creating a scene for a pillow. The fabric was showing through the lace so I did lots of weaving through the spaces. This will be a fun pillow to have around. Looks like the helicopter is chasing the Bug....still more work to do on this one. The helicopter does need a pilot....or something...and there will be embroidery in the background. The car still needs some doors. It measures about 12" x 12" so far but it will get a border.

click on the images for close-ups...

the scene so far. the cut off piano keys fabric made a good roadway.

helicopter appliqued on with lots of black stitching.

used some wrap stitches for the front grid and shisha mirrors for the hubcaps.

I tried doing a patchwork lace piece. I drew a pattern, cut out the pieces and used them as templates to cut out the lace. The lace was then free motioned onto a muslin background and still adding lots of embellishments with hand embroidery. It might wind up on the front of t-shirt if I can make it removable. Don't think I want to throw this in the washing machine. It is 6" in diameter.

drawing a pattern

stitched down with free motion embroidery and auditioning beads and buttons.

hand embroidery in progress

still needs more embellishing down on the bottom half.

....and I did do some meandering between the tomatoes I showed you last time and I think it will work to camouflage all the wrinkles.

meandered between the tomatoes


Our temperatures are still in the 100s almost every day without any sign of rain. Can't wait for the Fall season to arrive.

11 comments:

Anita said...

Oh my! love this pillow..shisha on wheels looks pretty.Yes,the helicopter needs a pilot :)

Rachel said...

The Bug is going well, I agree. The shisha hubcaps will be just enough sparkle...

Nancy said...

Bug VS Helicopter...a story for sure! I love the lace...it's beautiful.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Wouldn't it be great if we could have some of your heat here? Right now it's only 62 degrees here and miserably wet. I'm not done with summer yet and heartily dread the long loathsome winter.

margaret said...

the lace on the quilted piece works so very well and your pillow is so very pretty, a really beautiful piece of stitchery

Jane said...

What a fun scene Deanna, I'll look forward to the updates. That lace piece is wonderful, love how you've pieced it together

Mosaic Magpie said...

What a fun, creative filled post. It is easy to see your muse is working full time! The VW piece is a loaded with eye candy from the shops to the hubcaps. Maybe you could have a bug fly the helicopter. The lace piece is quite nice, I would like having a plan on where to place the pieces in the beginning.
Deb

karen said...

looking foeward to autumn here too and I agree with you, I don't think it would be a good idea to put that beautiful piece in the washing machine. I do like the helicopter piece. There is so much contrast here in your pieces, it demonstrates just how many skills you possess.

Judy said...

I absolutely love your VW Bug pillow! That is amazing! And of course, your t-shirt insert of lace is phenomenal!
I'm sorry you guys are suffering with the heat. We've had a relatively cool summer again this year, and I am so thankful for that.
Stay cool and keep stitching - I love seeing what you do!

xxoo

neki desu said...

delightful vw! and the white piece is stunning. i too am waiting f or fall so i can go back to weaving.

Nat Palaskas said...

The scene from VW Bug looks great and the helicopter added that perfect picture! Love that lace piece with that natural color - Hugs Nat

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...