Saturday, December 7, 2013

Stars

Jude Hill has declared December the month for Wishing Stars. I decided to play along using white cloth and lace that I have been working on in Karen Ruane's Simply Stitch non-class....a sort of alignment of what i've learned from two wonderful teachers. I started out with a traditional star pattern but wound up cutting one of the pieces incorrectly so, in the end had to ad lib to make it work. and since I love pouches, I decided to turn it into a pouch for some lace treasures. The pouch measures 11" x 11". I think my star has no wishes...maybe it is a star that no longer exists but its light still shines.

click on the images for close-ups.

this is the front to my way of thinking but most would consider it the back. the patches consist of dupioni silk, embroidered cotton and bits of tatting.

the back and a peek at the pink printed patchwork lining


an embroidered cotton flap for closure. there's some embroidery on the outside and inside of the flap, close to the top.

and a close up showing the bullion knots, french knots and bullion cross stitches for embellishment.
There is an inner layer of white cotton flannel to give the bag body and to prevent the pink lining from showing through. I really enjoyed stitching this together so thanks to Jude and Karen for all the inspiration.

It has been very cold here the past few days so staying warm inside and stitching has been wonderful. Hope you are all safe and warm as well. I will leave you with an advertisement video that I found very touching and such a wonderful way to give thanks. You will find the video here. It is a short one...only a few minutes.

18 comments:

jude said...

a nice crossover....

Nancy said...

I've been waiting to see what you'd come up with! It's beautiful and so you :)
I love that video too.

karen said...

such a touching video Deanna, thank you for the link. Your pouch is wonderful and a lovely ''home'' for lace....

Mo Crow said...

What beautiful stitching Deanna!
& the video is beautiful, I love this 21stC world!

Tina said...

This is beautiful and such a perfect project to encompass
Ideas from both places and take it forward.

Sweetpea said...

"...a sort of alignment of what i've learned from two wonderful teachers" ...

What a beautiful way to express gratitude.

jude said...

an ice star maybe, considering the weather!

Rose said...

Beautifully done Deanna and thanks for the close-ups and the intro to Jude! I'm in Texas too and it is cold, cold, cold.

margaret said...

a delightful pouch so beautifully made

Jane said...

I saw the picture on FB yesterday, lovely to get the tour here. It looks fabulous, and it's beautifully made

Rachel said...

It has very much a feel of something inspired by Karen - good work!

Unknown said...

Beautiful piece and a lovely way to stay warm...

Jillayne said...

I loved the video Deanna - thank you.
Your pouch turned out wonderfully... I like the way you combined a traditional quilt block with the embroideries etc. Your pouch will be a special place to store your cloth and a reminder of your special teachers - very cool!

Deb G said...

Beautiful! I agree with Jude, an ice star. Hope things are warming up.

Nat Palaskas said...

White star is lovely. I love how you turned your pieces into something else useful. Star is shining over at my house too - Hugs Nat

neki desu said...

star bright, star shine.
thanks for the link to the ad. my only qualm is that it's google.

handstories said...

what pretty white star work and textures. I think it could be a snowflake wish....(the wish that's on my mind!)
And thanks for the link....had a nice little happy cry this morning.

Peggy said...

It's so beautiful, Deanna. I love everything about it and think the tatting is the icing on the cake!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...