Saturday, October 12, 2013

the cooler weather inspires more creativity...

i left you last time with some cloth in a black bean dye solution. i'm pleased with the results but expected deeper blues. the cloth was a purple/blue color when it was removed but after being washed, they are all a bluish grey.

click on the images for close-ups.

i think the velvet turned out the prettiest color

i've been stitching on the white dupioni silk that i showed you back here based on the watercolor painting. i made a patchwork lining out of bits and pieces of leftover cloth. lots more stitching and embellishing to do before putting it together.

cotton lining of bits and pieces and white dupioni silk with bumpy bits

i've been wanting to try putting silk velvet through my pleater and did some experimenting this week. i ran it through 2 different times with a different number of needles and pulled the threads out both times and steamed it to take out the holes made. i liked the effect but the pleats were not pristine enough to be able to do smocking. the velvet is just too thick for that. i wound up doing the honeycomb stitch by hand.

the color is off here. it's actually soft pink. i marked the velvet in ½" spaces

when i was in New York several years ago, i visited a yarn shop and couldn't resist this beautiful cranberry colored lace yarn. i finally decided to do something with it. i got to use my new yarn swift to make the yarn cakes and am knitting the scarf pictured here. a different texture than shown in the picture as the yarn is much finer but i think it will look good once rinsed and blocked.

hard to get the actual color of the yarn

the yarn is a linen, mohair and a bit of nylon and so soft
the weather is cooling down slowly....cool mornings in the 60s and in the 80s by afternoon but beautiful and pleasant. wishing you a good weekend.

23 comments:

MulticoloredPieces said...

Hi, Deanna. See, this is the problem with the eco-dyeing as far as I can tell. Very iffy and you lose color. Still, the results on the silk are lovely. Interesting what the pleater did to the silk velvet--much better by hand. And of course, the stitching on silk is gorgeous.
best, nadia

Ms. said...

Yes--more gorgeous work, and I'm fascinated by that honeycomb stitch.

jude said...

my bean dyes got quite dark and didn't wash out or fade, maybe the water?

karen said...

I think you have achieved some lovely shade variations with the dye Deanna....very subtle, warm colours

Deb G said...

I had much much better results with the black bean and copper pennies than I did with just black bean. Maybe that is part too? Velvet always seems to take color the best. :)

Els said...

So sorry your beans colour didn't last ....
The velvet is soooo gorgeous ! (wish I could feel it !)
Love the scarf Deanna : yarn and colour

Jeannie said...

Such soft colors, perfect for some color filled stitch? The velvet is gorgeous. I was never crazy about velvet until I found silk velvet. It is like having a baby rabbit to hold, so soft and silky. I love the color of the yarn. Have fun!

Suzanna said...

I love that honeycombed velvet. So far in my experiments, the presence of copper seems to boost the color, but I haven't tried the black bean dye yet...I've been using a copper pot...there's so much to learn...

margaret said...

although the fabric did not hold a strong colour I rather like the delicacy of the colours produced. Smocking pattern is good and has worked well gathererd by hand very luxurious on velvet

Jane said...

Lovely yarn to be knitting with, beautiful. It's interesting how the different fabrics have taken the colour, I do like the habotai silk one too.

Mosaic Magpie said...

One thing about dyeing...you can always redye with something else. I like the soft colors you achieved. Once I tried Koolade dyeing and had similar results with losing the color in the rinse.
With the smocking on velvet or silk, I have learned if you will fuse a very light interfacing to the wrong side of the area to be pleated, it will pleat much nicer. Reading all I can about pleating and trying to take it all in!
xo,
Deb

Judy said...

love all that you are doing! keep up the good work!

xxoo

Rachel said...

The colours are delicate and lovely if not as strong as you would have wished...

Nancy said...

I sure love that silk velvet! I dyed in the old iron pot he found...pomegranate on a cotton crib sheet to experiment. Came out very black...but will loose lots more color I'm sure when I rinse it some more.

Louise@ElsieMayandBertha said...

I agree with about the dyed velvet being the best colour. I love the piece of silk with the bumpy bits. I can't wait to see the finished article. I have a pleater on my would love to have one day list, after seeing what Karen has done with hers, though I like your honeycomb stitches on your velvet. It makes the velvet look even more luxurious.
I hope you have a productive week ♡

Eva said...

The watery green is very beautiful. Maybe you are disappointed because you saw it when it was still soaked. But it is so subtle, like a fairy gown.

Love the cranberry color, too, because it is very familiar for me. When I was young, my Mom cooked a big lot of lingonberry jam with only 40% sugar (cranberry and lingonberry don't need extra preservatives) and she stored it in a huge ceramic mug to serve some of it with every meal. We ran out of it after about half a year, and it was still perfect.

Thank you for your kind comment on my blog!

Nat Palaskas said...

Black bean dye seems to give a better color when it wet. I like the range of color you've got though. They would go well with your stitching. The yarn swift and winder are magic gadgets. I can't do without them when preparing yarns for weaving - Hugs nat

neki desu said...

the velvet is so lush! following closely your experiments with the pleater.
beautiful yarn making yummy cakes ;)

Anita said...

You've got some lovely colors.Love the color Habotai silk.I'm imagining a silk pouch/bag with some delicate embroidery right now.

Peggy said...

The fabrics look like they've been water-colored -- so lovely. The pleating is gorgeous and how about that, I recently got a yarn swift, too! Haven't used it yet, can't wait though. The scarf looks soft and luxurious.

blandina said...

The honey comb velvet is beautiful, it would look great on clothing. And the cranberry wool is awesome, I like to knit with colored yarns during the grey days of winter.

Yvette said...

what beauty here!

Jillayne said...

I love the colour of the top piece of silk - so subtle and pretty. Really though, they are all beautiful, and so surprising to come from black beans!
I also quite like the pleated velvet - it's very rich-looking. I am thinking it would be beautiful in a pillow? You have made the wheels in my head start turning in another direction already, and here I thought my day was already planned...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...