Monday, November 12, 2012

loving the light...

that comes through the kitchen shutters this time of year during the afternoon.


did a bit more embroidery on this blue scrim-like shawl and am feeling much more comfortable creating bullion knots.

bullion and french knots on lace

in my quest to find better ways to organize, i uncovered some of these hanging pockets that i've had for years. it might work to catch all the bits and pieces lying around from projects being worked on. we'll see if this works. i'm willing to try anything to get rid of the chaos on my cutting table.

all these little things just get lost on the cutting table

and finally...the shawl. it's almost finished. the scalloped edge is worked perpendicular to the shawl and each scallop is 24 different rows. it takes me about 30 minutes to do each scallop and there are 25 in total. if i lose my place in the pattern, i'm in trouble.

5 scallops completed. that blue thread is a lifeline that i told you about in the last post
this week i learned a new way to join a new ball of yarn. it's called a russian join and works like a charm. here is how it's done.

Click on the images for close-ups.

Wishing you all a great week and hopefully some calm weather.

18 comments:

Nancy said...

Your organizer looks quite handy :) And the shawl becomes more and more gorgeous each time you share it. And so much work...so many hours, reminded me of the conversation about others not appreciating that aspect of what an artist does.
Great post :)

Jeannie said...

Your kitchen window is beautiful. I love the sheer curtains and shutters. Your shawl is so gorgeous. I am not sure I would have the patience for the scallops, but they are such a beautiful way to edge the shawl. Bullion knots are fun, but I really have to pay attention or they end up like sick caterpillars. I like the pocket idea. It would be great if they had a zip or button closing and the ability to roll or fold up. Gee, I bet I could make one! LOL!!! Have a fabulous week!

liniecat said...

I agree the shutters filter the light beautifully!

Els said...

Ha, great effort to keep your table clean .... (wonder how long ...)
Your shawl looks gorgeous very promissing, omly the blocking left to do)
(that join was similar like my mom used to do .... but : she wasn't Russian ;-) !)

karen said...

oh Deanna your shawl is wonderful as are your bullion knots.....like the hanger idea too.

Nat Palaskas said...

Lovely light shining through the lovely curtains. I can see heart shapes on them right? The hanging pockets is so handy, you can see what in them too, a good find! Hugs Nat

Anita said...

I have a very small working space which forces me to try many organizing methods,hanging pockets always works.Your shawl looks gorgeous.

blandina said...

I am happy to hear that I am not the only one to have chaos on my cutting table (and not only on this).
I love your shawl and admire your patience in knitting the scallops, I could never bring myself to try, if you survive I will.

Rachel said...

Practice makes perfect, as they say! Although I've noticed they tend to forget that when you're struggling "finding it easier" is more of a target than perfection...

Mosaic Magpie said...

You are loving the light and I am loving this post. The Russian Join was great!
Deb

Judy said...

Your shawl is gorgeous! Can't wait to see it finished! I HATE doing that Russian Join - glad somebody else enjoys it!

xo

Peggy said...

The light is so lovely and soft and the skrim shawl has the same feeling. Those scallops are exquisite! And I LOVE the Russian join, I've got threads hanging all over my sweater project because I couldn't get the regular way to join to work with my yarn -- where you wet it and roll the ends together. From now on . . . thank you so much, Deanna. Between the lifeline and this, wow, I don't know which will help me more!

Mo Crow said...

Oh Wow I love the french & bullion knots on the lace & your shawl is stunning, thanks for sharing!

Saskia said...

what a loving light; I just love the way this post flows from the poetic to the practical back to beauty and the actual effort that goes into making it so!

Deb G said...

Okay, I'll be trying that Russian join for sure. Reminds me of how you work with hollow core rope. My work table is an on going battle too.

MulticoloredPieces said...

Hi, Deanna. LUV those kitchen panels--so elegant. Gorgeous shawl--yeah, don't lose your place. I really like your dying results in previous posts. Now what are you going to do with it all????
best, nadia

neki desu said...

the shawl!!

handstories said...

you have now passed me by in knitting skills....i just heard about the russian join, but haven't tried it yet. gorgeous shawl.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...