Tuesday, September 25, 2012

a bit of mending...

i have several blouses/shirts that were purchased from the thrift stores but are a bit too small. i ripped open the side seams from the hem edge to the wrist edge, added 2" strips of cloth (deb lacativa's dyed cloth) and hand stitched on both sides. it now is a perfect fit. i did some hand stitching on the edges to tack down the seams. this is so easy and really enlarges the width of the sleeves, the top arm circumference and the body of the shirt. give it a try if you have some tops that are a bit too small.
click on the images for a closer view.

white cotton blouse mended to fit
still doing some spinning and knitting as well. working on a pair of fingerless gloves that match the cowl i posted last week. the pattern is from the book '10 SECRETS of the LAIDBACK KNITTERS'. this is a library book but there are so many patterns in there that i love that i ordered the book from Amazon. i always manage to change the pattern in some way but i'm not expert enough to make anything other than a scarf without some guidance.

one fingerless glove completed
i've been practicing spinning cotton roving on my new tahkli spindle but still need lots more practice so not much to show other than the spindle and the cotton. the spindle is just under 7" long and weighs about half an ounce.

tahkli spindle and cotton roving
hope you are all having a good week.

UPDATE:
i forgot that i wanted to share this video on HEALING (yourself and the world), if you haven't already seen it on Facebook or elsewhere. it is long but it's the latest info on the subject and very understandable.  sit with some stitching or knitting and just listen. it gives so much hope in so many areas. the link is here. looks like this full version is no longer available but you can watch half of it here.

17 comments:

Els said...

I love your blouse ! Clever girl !
And your knitting .... ! is that Noro ? love the colours !
(No spinning is definately not me ... but I admire anyone who does ;-) !))

Els said...

Ha, forgot: the tiny indigo plants/flowers are cute !

liniecat said...

What a great idea for the blouse! A great idea that.

deanna7trees said...

for those of you who have already seen this post, i have updated it with a video that you might find interesting.

Nat Palaskas said...

Good idea Deanna with the blouse. I have seen so many of the Indian style blouses, but the sleeves are too small. I would love to see you wearing it. I want to learn to knit fingerless gloves too. Must get Jacky to show me - Hugs Nat

Deb G said...

I haven't tried spinning cotton yet...need to do that soon. Fingerless mitts are so useful.

Peggy said...

Deanna, that blouse is just lovely. A perfect solution, I bet I could've used that technique on more than a few things that I either "outgrew" (to put it nicely) -- or something that got shrunk in the dryer! Love it, want to find something to try it out on --- and am looking forward to a date with that video sometime soon. I watched just enough to know I want to see it. Thanks!

karen said...

I love what you have done to the blouses...and such a great idea. I have a ''thing'' for finger less gloves and have so many pairs. It's just as well I can't knit them or the house would be overflowing!

Sweetpea said...

I am sooo drawn back to knitting myself at the moment. I think it started the other day when I put on knee socks for the first time this season.... I'm off to Amazon to check out that book ~ thanks, Deanna!

Rachel said...

If the cotton is very short staple the thread will be a little inclined to break until you catch the knack of it!

handstories said...

i hope to try out your idea...this ample self that showed up after having kids made a lot of old favorites too tight. i've taken that book out of the library a few times, too- really a good one.

Saskia said...

the cotton blouse is beautiful, what a great idea, and I too would like to see you in it

Anita said...

What a lovely blouse you've made!I like the panel at the front,is it hand embroidery?

blandina said...

Yes, the mending is very pretty, it doesn't seem like mending at all, but just a very original piece of clothing.
Pity for the video, it has been removed!

t said...

just caught up with some of your beautiful spinning and knitting, you have been busy. ANd its all looking so good.

xt

Susan said...

Well I read the most recent post first. But I love this patchwork side-strip even more.

Judy said...

I LOVE that blouse idea! I know just which blouse is going to get that treatment! Thank you so much for sharing!
......and I can't wait to watch the Healing video! Thank you again!
xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...