Friday, September 9, 2011

keeping busy...

The fire danger in Central Texas kind of got to me yesterday and I was feeling very unsettled. I've let it go and am back to myself today but ready to evacuate if it comes to that. There aren't  any fires real close to me right now but they are popping up everywhere without warning so we must be vigilant. There are so many people all over that are in far more danger than I am and I wish the best for all who might be fighting the elements all over the world. Thanks so much to all of you who showed concern.

Lyn of liniecat sent me some wonderful ostrich feathers and a peacock feather to add to my collection. I love seeing and feeling all the different textures, colors and designs.

ostrich and peacock feathers. and you can see I have been stitching on my Magic Diaries cloth.
Experimenting with ruching as instructed by Karen in her last embroidery lesson. It's just pinned and will be dramatically changed with some embroidery added.

white ruching cloth ready to be embroidered
I've had some eucalyptus leaves soaking in vinegar water for a couple of weeks and made some bundles this morning with linen and silk cloth wrapped over copper pipe. They are boiling right now and I will then set them outside for a few days before unwrapping.

eucalyptus leaves in vinegar water

leaves bundled over copper pipe ready for boiling
Click on the photos for a closer image.

19 comments:

Jeannie said...

Stay safe, Deanna. I live in an area with seasonal range fires, so I know how "being prepared" can be draining. The peacock feathers look glorious next to your Magic cloth. Hugs.

Morna Crites-Moore said...

Sending good energy your way - to be safe - to be calm - to be prepared - to be able to create. xo

Anonymous said...

deanna, again, you create so much, even in the shadow of a stressful dangerous situation. thinking of you.

Els said...

Keep save Deanna! I'm interested what will come out of the bundles ... (patience ....)

Martha Tsihlas said...

Hi Deanna: certainly the fire situation was sapping my creativity. I'm glad you are doing well and can't wait to see what comes out of those bundles. I'm about to wash some dyed fabric for a project and the anticipation is too much. Take care and stay safe!

Joe Madl said...

so glad to hear that you have been able to relax somewhat, deanna! it will help your peace of mind immensely.

love seeing the new bundles, ruching, and magic diaries cloth (i hope to start mine next week....*fingers crossed*)

stay safe.

namaste'

kaiteM said...

oh i didn't realise you are in Texas, i do hope the fires settle soon and you remain safe. Watch the direction of smoke, if it comes over you then it's heading your way.

Suzanna said...

Stay safe, Deanna. I love seeing what you're up to...

Anonymous said...

We have just heard about the fires in Texas and know how worrying a time that is for you. I love the eucalyptus pots and bundles, what does the vinegar do? Eager to see the unwrapped bundles. Take care, thinking of you and keep safe.

Deb G said...

Glad to know it's not so worrisome for you. Looking forward to seeing what happens with the eucalytus and copper pipes.

Nat Palaskas said...

Deanna, I'm glad to hear that you are not in real danger from the fire, but ready to evacuate if you have too. We have fires danger here every summer and I know how you feel. Are those eucalyptus leaves left from Herm? Hope you get some color from them still - Have a nice weekend - Hugs Nat

deanna7trees said...

Ingrid-thanks for your good thoughts. the vinegar helps the fabric pick up more of the dye, I believe. It is used as a mordant.

Nancy said...

Deanna- So much going on over your way. Thinking of you.

Mo Crow said...

looking forward to seeing what you do with that ruching cloth & what it looks like when it comes out of the dye bath & re those awful fires... "stay cool is still the main rule" to quote Bryan Ferry from a Roxy Music album from a very long time ago.

Heartwideopen said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you, and everyone caught up in the danger. Stay safe and calm! Can't wait to see what your bundles reveal!!!

;-) Debi

Yvonne said...

Hope the fire stays away and I'm looking forward to seeing your eucalyptus results - which you cannot 'ruche' :) I haven't pre-soaked any as you're doing, although I have used them two or three times on different fabrics.

Anonymous said...

It looks like you have had fun in Karen's class.

I hope the fires go out soon!

Montse Llamas said...

You're being so productive!

Hope you don't have fires around anymore!

lynda Howells said...

looking forward to seeing your dyeing results..l love eco-dyeing and it has sort of taken over my life! Hax love your feather too.x lynda

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...