Sunday, November 14, 2010

Old quilt blocks revive a treasured box...

In the 1960s, my dad built me a mahogany table with a glass top for my first apartment. I remember carrying that very heavy glass up the stairs and thinking we would never make it. There was some mahogany veneer left over and he put together a wonderful little box with a hinged top that I used for various things through the years. The hinges came loose a few years ago but I never got around to fixing the problem. While at the Houston Quilt Show, I saw some old sewing machine drawers made into beautiful boxes by covering a base with quilting blocks to place over the drawer. I removed the hinges from my box and surrounded the cover with some thin batting and used 2 old quilt blocks (given to me by a quilting friend) to cover it up. The old has become new again. Click on images for a closer view.

old mahogany box with new cover

mahogany table made by my dad in the 1960s
it sits in my living room with all my supplies close at hand

7 comments:

Storycloth said...

Superb deanna!

deb g said...

A great idea! My dad made a table out of mahogany when I was a child. It was the table we ate dinner at for years. Thanks for the memory!

jude said...

i love cloth and wood together. beautiful.

nandas said...

i love seeing your box and the table... great pieces that you chose too... i love seeing all the other things on your table and under it! i always like a peek into others homes... the way they organize...what they choose to display... thanks for this glimpse of you deanna!

gerfiles said...

Yes, it is - + I like that you took blocks made by someone else for it, that somehow rounds the whole thing up much better than sewing them yourself...

twhIch aye said...

patchwork and wood go so good together...

t said...

my dad made me a bookcase.

what a great way to fix this box lid, now it has new memories mixed with the old memories.

xt

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...