Thursday, July 1, 2010

Results of Avocado Peel Dyeing

Well, I must say I'm a little disappointed.  There's a definite change in the color of the fabrics but I'm not sure I can say that any of them looks pink---maybe a very subtle pink.  They are shades of beige to me. I left them in the dye pot overnight so the fabric was in the dye for a total of about 18 hours. The biggest change was to the piece of white wool.  I still have the cut-up pits to play with but I'm going to leave those in the sun for a couple of weeks before I add fabric. I've ordered a couple of books from the library on dyeing with natural materials so I'll keep you posted with my experiments.
                                         
                                     

4 comments:

Karen said...

you definitely have some colour change going on. I have a book called wild colour on dying with plants and things but I never use it for dyeing, I don't like to dye as I hate to get my hands dirty, seriously. Apparently I used to cry as a child if I got my hands dirty and funny enough my son was the same. Anyway, I digress, the book is a great teaching resource for students, I hang on to it in case I ever get any, students that is!

Patty said...

I have an avocado waiting to be
consumed then will try this. I love
the softness of natural dyes and to
work with fabric I myself have added
the color to. Thanks for posting this!

gerfiles said...

It´s not pink, but it´s beautiful... - I just simmer 1/2 a skin for about 1/2 hour, take it out, put fabrics in, simmer shortly + let it sit for a day, without mordant - the kind of pot one uses seems to have some influence, too...

Susan said...

Hi Deanna. I think the fabrics are lovely - the wool looks a lot like some of the colors I was able to get - not a bright pink - but still nice I think. The first time I tried this my colors were also pale - but this last time I used more skins. But in the comment before me - only 1/2 a skin and hers are very pink. Not sure -

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...