Monday, September 13, 2010

Postage Stamp Basket Block

I've been wanting to make a traditional basket quilt using my asian fabric collection. This pattern appeared in The Quilt Show newsletter last week. I did a test block with a red silk and a loose weave cotton (not the wisest of choices). The only thing I need to adjust is the handle but otherwise I think it will work. The block turns out at 4". Now I have to draw out a whole quilt pattern and it will be a good hand sewing project. I will be using only cottons. I plan to back this test block, as you can see, and make it into a card for a friend who needs cheering up.

6 comments:

gerfiles said...

Looks like peaceful + patient hours to come, hand sewing these baskets (are they called Postage Stamp because they´re small?)...

deanna7trees said...

ger,
i believe the year was 1978 when a u.s. postage stamp was issued with 4 baskets. all the handles faced the center. that is where this pattern started. thanks for visiting.

Suzanna said...

So nice to have a big hand-sewing project to look forward to...I will enjoy watching it progress. I put an answer to the pansy question over at my blog...

ACey said...

I love this pattern. Think it will be gorgeous done in asian inspired prints!

Nat Palaskas said...

Lovely bright color for the block. Hand piecing is perfect for this project - Have a great day Deanna.
Hugs
Nat

kaiteM said...

That will be a beautiful project, and the fabric is so warm and uplifting, it would brighten anyone's day. a lovely idea.
sorry it's taken me so long, i've had problems with the internet server for the last 24/24. Limited access, very limited. k.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...