Wednesday, June 30, 2010
Monday, June 28, 2010
The peels dried within 12 hours exposed to the air. The pits are not dry yet. I'm feeling that inability to be patient so I've decided to put the peels in hot water with the alum treated fabric. Will probably have time to do that on Wednesday. I will put the pits in water and out in the sun as I planned. Hope to post an update on Wednesday or Thursday. If anyone gets any other information on the best way to do this, please let me know. I'm sure I'll be doing this again if I get any kind of a decent color.
Sunday, June 27, 2010
I came across the blog Gerdiary where I was amazed to see fabric dyed pink with avocado shells. I did some research and just had to try it. There were no exact instructions anywhere so I'm doing it my way based on what I've gleaned from others. I bought 4 avocados, peeled them and cut up the pits into small pieces. I'm drying both -- don't really know how long that will take. When they are dry, I plan on putting the peels and the cut-up pits in separate jars with water and will put them out in the sun for weeks -maybe-if I can hold out that long. I'm planning on treating some fabric pieces with alum, that you can find in the spice section of your grocery store. I'll then put the fabric in the jars with the liquid and leave them in the sun until it looks like the fabric pieces have picked up the color. I'll keep you posted on how this goes. You can see from the pictures that the pits are already turning orange. And of course, I cut 2 fingers with the knife when cutting the pits. So, if you try this, be more careful than I was.
Wednesday, June 23, 2010
I just had to do something to improve all those UFO blocks I put together the other day. They just didn't look like they belonged together and I am very determined to quilt it and use it on my bed, so I made a bunch of 4 patches using the same fabrics and appliqued them on the plain blocks. I think it helped and I think I can live with it now. It is now ready to be sandwiched which I hope to complete tomorrow. Then comes the problem of deciding how to quilt it. It will be hand quilted--a good project to work on at quilt bee every Thursday and great for something to do while watching TV in the evenings. Here is a before and after picture. Would love to hear if you think it's somewhat improved. Blogger keeps changing the way things work and this new way is driving me crazy. I finally thought I knew what I was doing but looks like I'm in trouble again.