Wednesday, February 10, 2010




I was talking to my bobbin lace buddies about an afghan that I crocheted when I was in high school and college (about 50 yrs ago). I did it in squares using the afghan stitch and it took forever since I only worked on it at night while watching TV. It's probably twin bed size. Unbeknownst to me, my dad was keeping track of the time it took me to complete the afghan. I wish I could remember what that was, but I do not. He tried to impress on me that I could never get paid what it was worth given the time it took to complete. This afghan has been in the closet for years since it came back from the cleaners (probably 20 years or so). I guess I was afraid to put it in the washing machine. I can't decide what to do with it. I hate the color or I would put it on my bed. Any ideas????

1 comment:

Kathryn Kistner said...

I LIKE your afghan! The design is lovely. It really is!

You could use it on your bed, UNDER the bedspread; use it for the warmth... but where it will not be seen.

Or put it into a fancy "case" (instead of using a pillow form), and put it on your bed.

Hmmm. Men sometimes miss the point of women and crafts. I figure that take-along (or down-time) projects give me something CREATIVE to do while I'm waiting in waiting rooms; and at the end of MANY hours of waiting over the course of a year or more, I have something to show for that time!

And that allows me to feel useful and productive! ...A powerful affirmation of my worth... which was never really in question... but which feels nice, nonetheless.

Happy Birthday, Deanna!

Kathryn Kistner in Texas

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...