Thursday, February 16, 2012

creating a softer edge...

I've been working on the portal (not porthole, as I previously posted) that will be on the front side of the magic cloth (The Play Ground). I tried several different things but I think I will settle on this one. I wanted this portal to have a softer edge to provide a soft, gentle entry to the other side where the harsh realities of life are experienced in a more linear fashion. Click on the images for a closer view.

the spiral is on a hand dyed silk and the edge is a sari silk strip.

This is the beginning of the portal on the back. If you missed that post, you can find it here. The portals will be placed back to back.

portal on the back. center is japanese silk stitched into a hand dyed silk cloth.

I'm so anxious to start putting the front and back together but I have lots more stitching to do on the front before that can happen. Things are moving quite slowly but progress is being made. I like having different areas to move to on the cloth when I run out of ideas of how to proceed. I have never worked this way before. Jude has been the inspiration for this new method of putting it all together.

12 comments:

Rachel said...

Absolutely, you need to take your time with it and let the ideas come to you!

jude said...

and i almost read it as pothole, oh ha. There as an actual hole in the listen to the river quilt, like a passage. i just remembered that. These are sort of optical illusions, creating a dizzying pull. a bit "supernatural". sucks you right in. whoosh.

kaiteM said...

it's looking exciting, a pathway to the other world.

google is getting difficult with its new words, 2 of them and hard to read mostly. we might all might end up with fewer comments.

liniecat said...

I love what your doing Deanna, its magical and yes, 'portal' suits it far better.

Ms. said...

Those bright colors really catch me up, and the softening line is so nice, an inviting entrance.

Jeannie said...

I love these portals into opposite worlds. Patience is so difficult sometimes. Wishing you a beautiful weekend.

Nat Palaskas said...

looking good Deanna, love the brighter effect on dyed silk - hugs Nat

t said...

I like the contrast of colours here and the portal is a fantastic idea.

xt

Anonymous said...

the portal is very inviting, compelling, even. am I wrong to see it as possibly a little bit of a trickster, drawing us in to places we might not want to go (to the harsh-realities place)with playful images and pretty colors?!! The whole concept of portals is wonderful... the back is lovely and I enjoy the play of the hand=dyed with the hard-edged, brightly colored geometric.

deanna7trees said...

hi Dee. glad you like the portal. i like that everyone can interpret what they see in their own way. that is why i usually do not like to explain, in detail, much about my story. for me, the front is a place where time does not exist...no past, present or future...it all is happening at once. the portal, from front to back, takes you to the 'harsh realities place' which is where we live our lives and where time exists as a concept of our mind with a past, present and future. hope this makes some sense but your vision is the important one.

Nancy said...

Love the soft ruffled edge. Every time you post about this portal idea, I think of my childhood nightmare where the whole playground I was getting dropped off at was made of quicksand!
Can't wait to see them back to back. How will you photograph that?!!! Haha

Vicky aka Stichr said...

wow...putting them back to back, that alone can be a challenge!

but i really like your choice of words for this, portal, and the fuzzing at the entrance/exit....i can picture it picking up bits of sparking electricity as you pass through.

{black hole was the word choice that had popped up}

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...