Wednesday, February 8, 2012

bits and pieces of this and that...

It was time to do some yard work this morning even if I was just mowing weeds. The front yard looks better now and another day I will work on the back. Amazing that there are already some flowers appearing here and there. The poor trees and flowers are so confused these days. I think clicking on these images will give you a closer view.

Spring is on its way

Started some work for the back of my magic cloth...The Play Ground. Its story is about the concept of time which has been a kind of obsession with me since childhood. More about that another time and more of an explanation of the cloth's story as it progresses. The last cloth I double dyed seemed like a kind of porthole to me so that is what it has become...a porthole to the front of the magic cloth where there are no boundaries, no order, a kind of timelessness. The front of the cloth will also have a porthole to the back.

just the beginnings of stitch...

Several years ago, I made a small quilt whose story was also about time...music taking you to another time and place. That one was called An Other View. It is quite small...just 12" x 14".

mostly machine stitched

a little mirror is stitched in...you can see my hand holding the camera here

the back...this little one was made in 2007

10 comments:

liniecat said...

Really like your porthole idea! Lovely little quilt too Deanna.

Karen said...

I am fascinated by the idea of a porthole...I guess we are all doing that. Looking for something or looking back at memories....

kaiteM said...

how intriguing, a porthole to the future
or is it a parallel universe?
love the early cheer jonquil, bring them on.

Nancy said...

I love the porthole on front & back! Can't wait to see :)
I made my son a time machine piece (aprox 8.5X11) once as a joke. :)

handstories said...

great porthole and ideas behind it. is that a piece of printed cloth in the center of it? your playground reminds me of Klee's "magic garden" painting.
http://www.fantasyarts.net/kleegarden.html

Ms. said...

That music quilt, double sided with embedded mirror is so complex, and whimsical too...nice light touch. i too love the porthole as a way to highlight the elements. Easy to see you've been busy as usual.

Peggy said...

Beautiful flowers, Deanna! Did you lose any plants from last summer's drought? The portholes are genius, sort of traveling between parallel realities, the front and back...I love your stitching following along the dye lines and the beautiful center. An Other World is lovely -- the mirror is porthole-like, too, in a way. I would feel very good about myself after making that one, wow!

Yvonne said...

I'm struck by how both of these have bright colours contrasting with neutrals. It is interesting to locate the recurring themes in work done over 'time'.

Rachel said...

A porthole into a magic world - what a wonderful idea!

jude said...

that portal has a shock element

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...