Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Moons and Beasts

If you've been reading my blog for awhile, you know that I'm always working on several things at one time. I've been playing around with 'moon stitching' for the moon quilt I hope to put together. I saw some silk scrim with embroidery at the Houston Quilt Show and it inspired me to try embroidery on scrim. I put 2 pieces of scrim together with a temporary spray and starched it so it would be easier to stitch through. I placed it in a hoop, added some hand dyed scrim in spots and started stitching. It still needs some work but I think it will work.
I also started stitching on the moon piece I put together a couple of weeks ago.
I had put some little weavings together a few weeks back and a beast appeared in one of them so I decided to stitch him into the weaving. I don't know what he will look like when he's finished but I'm sure he will help me decide what stitches come next. Click on the photos for a closer view. If you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

silk scrim with embroidery viewed in Houston

my embroidery on scrim

moon stitching

the beast that appeared in my weaving

10 comments:

gerfiles said...

Interesting material, scrim (didn´t know the word...) I like how your scrim moon sits next to that patterned circle... - + I enjoyed the photos in your last post, such relaxed + cheerful looking folks (in German we call this kind of lacemaking Klöppeln, after the bobbins...)

Karen Turner said...

Scrim is such a lovely fabric to work with.

Storycloth said...

Hi Deanna - what an interesting idea. What thread and stitches have you used here? Maybe you could loosely weave your own scrim too? Oh wowee there are so many wonderful things to become involved with in clothland. Thanks for sharing this. Gilly

Jacky said...

I think the scrim works beautifully for your moon... very subtle and still textural. Like Gilly's idea of the woven scrim too.

Love the beastie. Very luscious lips.

Jacky xox

Heartwideopen said...

Oh Lordie, I love your beast! Isn't it exciting when something like that happens???!!!!??? I love your moon stitching. On the large moon on the right of your two pictures... is that one piece of cloth, or layered cloth. The variations in color look really interesting.

;~) Debi

Heartwideopen said...

OH! Forgot to say, I love your new ID picture! You look so relaxed and content!

;~) Debi

Nat Palaskas said...

I agree with Jacky and Debi and love the moon face and rainbow pieces on the beast, how gorgeous - Hugs Nat

Tammie Lee said...

It is wonderful to see all your pieces. I also work on many things at once. The best feeling is when I complete something... feels so good.

Els said...

What a face Deanna! A woven face !
(beasts and faces still are creeping up from time to time)

t said...

love your moon deanna...and that face is a beauty..... its good to have a few things going at once. ..... not every day is the same, and stitching is often reflected in our day.

xt

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...