Wednesday, March 7, 2012

lace collar is finished and...

I can't often say that a project is finished. I've been working on this bobbin lace collar since October, 2011. I just work on it in class which is 4 hours, so it's not surprising that it took me this long. It just needs a clasp which will be stitched on today.

bobbin lace collar with beads...linen thread

And I know you're probably tired of seeing these cloths from the dye pot, but this is how I keep track of them. I'd never remember when I did what, if it wasn't for this blog. These 2 pieces were originally done shibori method with colorhue dyes. They didn't turn out great, so I decided to overdye using the tin can method I just love. I used onion skins and some eucalyptus leaves and some pennies hidden between the cloth and the can.

this was originally blue done with the colorhue dyes. the pin holes are still visible from the shibori stitching. it's a habotai silk.

this is a heavier silk and i did lots of folding so some of the original green color would remain.
And, of course, I've started Karen Ruane's class this week so lots of playing and experimenting going on.

stitching on scrim...a new experience

a scrim ruffle and grid...and some stitching started.
Finally, here is a delightful video that Michelle posted this morning: The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore.

12 comments:

Els said...

What a lovely work your necklace is! (is the linen the natural colour ?)
I love that second one from the dye pot!!!
Of course you're working with Karen again, ha ! She makes fantastic stuff ! (It really isn't my "cup of tea" that kind of work but I love what yóú are making) The delicate stitching is lovely

(don't know whatever happened : can't find my follower avatar and neither can sign in again .....?)

Rachel said...

It will be interesting to see what you do on Karen's course - hope you enjoy it!

Karen said...

Deanna, the collar is amazing...so much work in there and all those hours. Hats off to you!

Jeannie said...

Deanna, the collar is gorgeous! I imagine it feels elegant to wear as well. The dye pot is producing beautiful cloths! Taking a class from Karen is on my list for this year. I see what you, Karen, and others create and I am so smitten. Where do you find scrim? I have looked high and low here. I may have to look on line. Wishing you a sunny week.

Ms. said...

What good work! Prolific is an understatement when it comes to you>

Cheryl Razmus said...

Deanna, that collar is just fabulous! So elegant. And that beautiful diaphanous white stuff with the blue flowers. I think eventually I'm going to have to look up your Karen to see what I can learn about delicate things. (Right now I'm doing quite bold!)

Tammie Lee said...

I can see why this colar took a while! I love finishing projects, love that.

Your white pieces are wonderful. In the top one, what it a simply airy weave of fabric that you then added stitching too that changes the lay of the cloth? Beautiful.

Nancy said...

So many pretties! I like seeing what you do in Karen's class and seeing the collar all complete. So nice. Your dye work is so great, you've really got this going now!

Peggy said...

Deanna, I had to smile when I read what you wrote about documenting your dyed cloths -- I'm the same way! You get the most fantastic results and these are once again full of pattern, layers, and variation, so much potential for future pieces. Your lace collar is just beautiful, congratulations on a finished piece. Will be watching for more lovely, intricate stitching in the class -- I live vicariously through you. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Deanna, your collar is so beautiful and these dearker beads fit so well and make it more interesting.
The workshop seems to be great, I´m curious to see your work in progress.
Doris

Jacky said...

What lovely work Deanna....great to see your lace collar finished, it looks gorgeous and I love that natural coloured thread you have used.
Wonderful over dyeing with the tin can method, especially love that second piece.
And exquisite work in your class with Karen. So delicate.

Jacky xox

Mo Crow said...

that collar is fabulous and I love the stitching on the scrim !

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...