Sunday, August 21, 2016

Stitching a Story

Karen's class, Stitching a Story, is coming to an end. It has been 12 wonderful weeks of embellishing a storybook of our choice. My choice was THE BEDSPREAD by Sylvia Fair. It is a story of two old sisters who decide to decorate their boring bedspread. I have made a short video where I flip through the pages of my embellished book. There are pages with collages, embroidery, paper work, fabric pajamas, stuffed figures, etc. Some of the pages are kind of blurry in the video but you can still get a good idea of what it looks like. You can see the video here. I did run my fingers over some of the areas embellished in the video to distinguish from what was already on the page.

Here are some stand alone pictures of some of what you will see in the video and a few pieces that are stand alone pieces. Sorry for the poor quality of these images.....I think I need to go back to using my camera instead of my phone. click on the images for a closer view.

Karen's classes are always inspiring and motivating and allow you to move in the direction of your own personal creativity. The next class, WRAPPED AND BOUND IN STITCH, begins on Sept. 5th, so check it out here.

a pocket with the book jacket printed  to hold the book and a zippered pocket embellished with embroidery and a 3D fence to hold all the patterns used.

an embroidered door, a tiled welcome mat and a collaged tree with embroidered flowers.

some of the embroidery and stitch done on a stand alone bedspread piece.

The book is opened to the page where Maud and Amelia are embroidering on their boring bedspread. I created a stand alone piece with bits of fabric and lace to mimic their bedspread. It measures 30" x 11".


13 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Wow, it looks totally wonderful, Deanna .. still totally in love with the pj's .. you made it into a great looking book

karen said...

I have such a big smile on my face Deanna, this is amazing. It was such a surprise to see some elements of this again too, right back to the very beginning, little things I had forgotten. It's a masterpiece, you have really embraced this whole experience and it's truly a pleasure to see the result.
(I wonder if this video would post in our Flickr group?)

liniecat said...

Fantastic!!!!
What a brilliant way to adapt a book : )

Ms. said...

wonderful wonderful. I will look at the video now.

Peggy said...

Deanna, this is an amazing work of art, I love it! All the detail and creativity in this piece -- you must have been in the zone the entire time. What a great concept -- like a house, I'd much rather improve an existing one than build one from the ground up. Fun to watch your video, too. I hope you make more!

Nat Palaskas said...

Deanna, this looks really amazing and fun! Imagine working on a real bedspread! Love the video as well. I was hoping to hear your over it - Hugs Nat

blandina said...

What fun, you did a great job, a very special book indeed! Never idle, our Deanna.

Els said...

so wonderful Deanna !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jane said...

i've enjoyed seeing this develop, lovely to see the finished book,off to see the video

Magpie's Mumblings said...

There's just one word - fun!! Thank you for including the video and for pointing out your additions - made me feel as thought I was actually looking through your book myself, even though I could feel the textures.

Stitching Lady said...

A most charming and wonderful storybook, Deanna, i love how you are lifting some details so it can really be seen. you made a beautiful piece of art, I am delighted and the wish arises that I want to make something similar..

Anonymous said...

I love it whenever people come together and share opinions.

Great blog, continue the good work!

MulticoloredPieces said...

Hi, Deanna. Sorry to see you're not blogging much anymore...LUV your decorated book and your video of it. Coincidentally, I'm rejuvenating my worn bed quilt... Wishing you a creative autumn!
best, nadia

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...