Wednesday, July 20, 2011

still making decisions...

I dyed some silk gauze with onion skins and love the way it turned out but was not happy with the way it looked over the orange cloth I was trying to tone down. So I decided to break up the orange cloth into smaller blocks and took one of the blocks and dropped it into the onion skin bath. Well, I like the way it turned out so I think I will continue doing that with the rest of that cloth.

the onion skin dye has toned down the color
I also found a couple of other things I might be adding to this 'magic diaries' cloth that I'm working on through Jude's workshop. Just couldn't pass up the thrift shop this week. I think the two pieces I found will fit into this cloth somewhere.

silk gauze dyed in onion skin and 2 thrift shop finds
Also did some weaving on the goat piece and made the whole piece a bit smaller.

did some weaving on the left side
On a completely different topic, I decided to try and do some writing of words using the sewing machine. I've been practicing in my head for a couple of weeks. I tend to do that when I want to try something new. It seems to help me to get a better start. I think I did pretty well for the first try. All was done free form except for the bottom right where I wrote out the quote in pencil and stitched over the lines. This was done on a sandwich of 2 pieces of cotton with flannel in between. Next I will try it with just the 2 layers of cotton---and maybe in a hoop for easier maneuverability.

practicing free motion writing on the sewing machine
So things are moving along now and the magic cloth is in its early stages. At least I now feel like I know in which direction I am going.

19 comments:

liniecat said...

Id say you were definately now on a positive path forwards lol Great writing! Im naff at that, well most thign free motion on the machine really.
LOVE the goat!!!

kaiteM said...

so much positive achievement in one post, i love the onion skin pieces and that word writing is excellent. i still can't do it as i keep forgetting how - is it machine fast and fingers slow or the other way around?

jude said...

i like the way you are working through it all. nice job on the words, i am not good with the machine like this....

Jeannie said...

I love the color scheme you are using. I also am not good with free motion stitching on the machine - walk and chew gum type of thing - my hands and head cannot get in sync. I love the quote.

deanna7trees said...

Jude--i don't usually spend this much time 'working through it all'. this is the new me after watching you and my clothmates. i'm learning how to do that.
Jeannie--thanks for visiting Jeannie. i just visited your blog. so many appealing things to see.

Nat Palaskas said...

Wow, did you used free motion to write all that? How clever of you to think it all out in your head! Love the weaving too, I still love that Technic - hugs Nat

Deb Lacativa said...

I have a great tool that I use for "beating back" overly aggressive reds, pinks and oranges. It's a transparent Setacolor paint. Can't think of the name of the color at the moment but it looks like pea soup in the bottle, no mistaking it for something else. It works marvelous changes on fabrics that are too Hot..and the hand of the cloth is mostly unchanged.

Penny Berens said...

Bringing together a great collection of thoughts and cloth finds. I am so appreciative of Jude helping us create a more thought filled process.

Peggy said...

Deanna, this was so much fun to read and catch up with all your doings. The onion skin toner-downer is such a great idea and your beginning is so beautiful. Makes me want to go grab a piece of orange or gold! I love your machine stitching. I've wanted to do that, too -- you did great. I like how you stitched "now is the time"...!

helen said...

I love the way you use dye...and the results you get.

Also love the weaving on the goat piece, and the free form sewing....and how you mentally prepare yourself through visualisation first...that's so cool.

Vicky aka Stichr said...

oh boy...that plaid orange and yellow thrift find is fantastic! and the onion did a great job on the silk. you think it would still be too opaque on the magic cloth if you invisible basted a lot? though i do like the color the onions gave the orange, yes siree.

Drucilla said...

your goat piece is fantastic! i will have to read back to find more about this piece...

you did such a beautiful job with the machine stitching - i can't believe it's your first time with it! that will be a useful skill <3

Els said...

Hi Deanna, lovely to see you practicing the machine writing!!! I used that in some quilts and although I practiced it a lot, the moment it's "for real" is always scarry! Thén it must not go wrong ...! And then ofcourse at some point you start trembling ...
you seem not to be able to hold your course ... Wait a bit then, and all goes well again.
Have fun!

realm of inspiration said...

As a former first grade teacher, i
bestow upon you an A+ in writing.
Lovely!
i have a ways to go to where mine
might be readable.

deanna7trees said...

realm of inspiration-thanks for visiting. i, too, am a former 1st grade teacher. you have made me wonder if ones handwriting in general has something to do with success in handwriting using the free motion method. hmmmm....

Karen said...

I am so happy that you now have direction. I know how frustrating any kind if indecision can be. The second picture, the patchwork cloth...it's beautiful.

Sandy said...

Oh my goodness I am so in love with your fabric techniques, the little goat piece is amazing! I can see I am going to be reading here for a while.

grace Forrest~Maestas said...

deanna...WOW! and YES!...how great
all that you are working through and with for your Diaries cloth. can feel your concentrated pleasure
with all these examples. the
re-done orange is really great. i will do that with one of the fabrics that makes me wince, but love for some reason anyway....

i smile at "now is the time"
whenever i need to try out a keyboard, that's what comes out...
but should change it to
for all good women, huh?
xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

The oranges are lovely, so vibrant and the blocks are lovely - very Mediterranean. Onion skin dye really is brilliant for toning brights down.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...