Monday, January 31, 2011

More Weaving---a bit on the unusual side

I found these cotton pants at the thrift store a while ago and couldn't resist. I wanted to weave something with them but didn't want to completely lose the faces. I found 2 sections that were identical and cut vertical strips from one section and horizontal strips from the other. I wasn't careful about the angle of the cut so as you can see the faces at the bottom do not match up exactly. As it turns out, I like the effect it gives. The left side has vertical strips of a sheer fabric where you can see parts of the face through the fabric. I don't really know where this is going but I'll be adding a lot more to this piece, just don't exactly know what that will be right now. All ideas and comments welcome. Click on the pics for a closer view.


13 comments:

Martha Tsihlas said...

Hi Deanna...I love what you did with the pants, where in the world did you find those? Before me!!
I also read about the old quilts. What a discovery!! They should be in a museum. Anyways, looks like you have been busy. Take care!

Storycloth said...

You AMAZE me with your repertoire of interests!!!! I really enjoyed looking at th equilts in past post- especially the WW11 quilt. Gilly

Joe Madl said...

what a wonderful bit of weaving!! i love it!

Marti said...

Deanna when I first saw this amazing face weaved cloth, I thought you were making a vest; the curved shape and all, possibly from the pant leg. The more I look at this, the more I think it would be such a wonderful one of a kind vest and a great conversation starter when you wear it!

deanna7trees said...

yes, Marti, that is the curve of the pant leg you are seeing. i don't really wear vests, but you've given me an idea. i might stitch it to the front side of a jacket. thanks for the idea.

Cheryl Razmus said...

I can't imagine the excitement of finding such an interesting garment at the thrift store. I was admiring this on the class site yesterday, and just love the new direction it is taking my mind. Now I want to print on fabric and reweave it. Alas that is too much work for the moment, but I will remember your inspiration.

Karen said...

love this!! Such a fascinating effect.

lynda Howells said...

Love the effectxlynda

Helle Jorgensen said...

The collaged faces are amazing. What a great idea.

Anonymous said...

deanna, tis I, your fan!
the close up of the faces
is just so awesome!
you so work out of the box and beyond...

deanna7trees said...

thanks to all of you for your wonderful comments. i am having so much fun with the weavings.

liniecat said...

I really like the way youve made the faces a feature within the weave like that. Cracking idea!

Anonymous said...

groovy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...