Saturday, April 25, 2015

a new book....

I was made aware of a new Pin Loom Weaving book this week and I had to have it. This one has patterns for lots of different designs and I would like to make a sampler blanket. I have some wool yarn that's very fine and I'm going to experiment and see if it will make a nice looking block.

click on the images...

another project will be started. the bottom book is the new one.


Did some more paper play in Karen Ruane's class Reinventing the Page.

the center is crumpled tracing paper with pen and stitch on the surface

the full designed page


I finished one of the pouches from long ago. I added a needle threader to a length of yarn that is permanently attached. I'm always searching for a needle threader and I try to put one in every sewing pouch.

pouch front

pouch back

UPDATE:  just to say that I found these needle threaders at Joann's (US). also, if you hold onto the wire part of the needle threader when you are pulling through the needle, the wire will not come loose from its plastic holder. my needle threaders last me a very long time.

....and I did sew up that first redwork hat quilt block. It turned out to be 15" square and I'm now ready to stitch 3 more like it with different hat centers. I'm designing as I go so there is no real plan or size in mind. I do know that black and white check fabric will appear somewhere.

15" square

ready for stitching


We hit 91 degrees today. Summer is on its way too soon. Hope you all have a great weekend.

16 comments:

Nancy said...

Oh Deanna, I really love that pouch! I've never seen a needle threader like that. I have some of that fine yarn too. I use it for my Christmas stockings. I have some colors I'll never use, so if you're interested in them, let me know. The hat block turned out great. Can't wait to see more!

margaret said...

so much to see and admire here, I think the red work hat is my favourite

FlashinScissors said...

Hi Deanna, like the look of that book! Your paper play is so pretty, clever ideas. Wow, your pouch is brilliant, just my sort of thing! I always have my trusty needle threaders to hand too! I find they don't last long though.

liniecat said...

Oh heavens that's too hot for me lol
Really like that sewing pouch and that's a great idea to attach the needle threaded - would have to search for mine, that's a wise idea.
Really innovative page work there, challenging the norm.

Anita said...

Both the page and pouch are beautiful Deanna. love the hat print fabric..A friend of mine is weaving on a pin loom in my class but her loom has got pins only on two sides.

Louise@ElsieMayandBertha said...

That pouch is beautiful Deanna, you can never have too many of those.
I've not seen a fancy needle threader like that before. I keep one in each of my needle books, though I do have to buy them by the dozen as I keep breaking them!
The redwork panel looks fabulous too.

Stitching Lady said...

Oh I love your pouch, it is so extra. The paper work with Karen is very interesting - it looks really very good.
I am interested in pin loom weaving - I never heard of it.
I like the needle weaving which we do sometimes on embroidery. So this seems to be for me, too.
Greetings from F - where internet is scarce in our house.

Els said...

Wow Deanna, lovely pouch and doodle page !

Nat Palaskas said...

Those little pouches are so cute! I love the idea of attaching needle threaders on each sewing pouch! The needle threader is also cute! Hugs Nat

Jane said...

Enjoy your new books. I love those crumpled centres on your doodle page, I can imagine they will give you plenty of inspiration for new work

Stitching Lady said...

I looked it up meantime. It is so fascinating! Thanks for this idea.

karen said...

wow, you kept that pouch quiet!! It's really beautiful Deanna and as if you need another project!! I wonder will you incorporate some of the pin weaving into your embroidery?

Rachel said...

A successful week!

Peggy said...

Love your projects, Deanna. The pouch is beautiful and the idea to attach the cool needle threader is grand! I've never seen one like that, I use the cheap ones that fall apart right away. Curious to see what you come up with on the pin loom too. So fun to see everything you do, there's always something new to me here!

Anonymous said...

I especially love the piecework and stitching on the back of your pouch, and attaching the threader is a brilliant idea.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Beautiful pouch - don't think I've seen that form of needle threader before. Your pages look so intriguing - this time they put me in mind of some ancient sort of cave drawings.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...