Wednesday, July 14, 2010

I think it's pink....

Experimenting with avocado dyeing goes on. This time I used NO MORDANT and did not use a stainless steel pot. I scored the avocado peel and placed the peel right side up in the pot. Put the fabric on top of the peel and then covered all with water. Heated the covered pot to a boil and then simmered for about 1 hour. I let that sit for 24 hours and then just rinsed the fabric. The shade of pink is a bit darker than in the picture. After 24 hours there was hardly any of the dark color left on the peel.

Before and After dyeing

More experimenting in progress, so stay tuned. The cut-up pit is still out in the sun, used some of the meat closest to the peel and wrapped it in a fabric bundle and put it out in the sun and am now over-dyeing some fabric.



                                                                                                                              

2 comments:

gerfiles said...

I think it´s pale pink - a pleasantly unexcited shade (just the right thing for too hot summer days...)

Cathie said...

Hey there fellow beast workshop person! Saw your post and decided to come check out YOUR blog. I too have peeled 6 avacados (yesterday) and they are all dried up. I think tomorrow morning I'm going to dye some silk dupioni. I do hope it works for me. I was very curious as to whether or not the material the pot was made from effects the turnout. Can't wait to try it. Isn't Jude's workshop a blast!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...